[CentOS-docs] Opening of the Wiki - Part I

R P Herrold

herrold at owlriver.com
Mon May 19 16:24:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Daniel de Kok wrote:

>> I dont understand why someone's name needs to be on the
>> page, for them to be able to subscribe to the changelog for
>> a page ?

I concur that subscribing to changes should be open to all
known site registrants -- but
such notification subscriptions have NEVER worked for me,
despite a couple debugging attempts, so, who knows if it is
really useful.

> I agree. I still agree with myself one year ago:

subscribe to the Changelog is orthogonal to edit rights (the
seeming topic of your quoted prior post) -- what are you
agreeing to?  ;)

> "I can only agree. Even it is not the intention to keep
> people away, people will feel like they have to consult with
> the author on every edit. This works against the goal of
> wikis: providing complete, correct, and understandable
> information."

1. attributed work is more likely to have _someone_ take a
pride of authorship (or at least an interest in not letting
stale or inaccurate content remain), than an anonymous work.

Is there disagreement with this assertion?

2. As an example of such 'signing' of content, see the the
Java page is the product of two authors, and one half has
disappeared; I'd rather distance myself from the bottom half
[it is a moving target, and cannot remain fresh, and I have no
inceitive to maintain it, as I do not follow that approach,
but ...  I *do* test and use the top method daily], BUT some
readers seem to find the 'jpackage' half somewhat useful.  As
such, I do NOT simply cut off the bottom.

As a side note, I regularly get private inquiries about the
bottom half, anyway, and respond to them, anyway.

> And why can't the editors be responsible for all of the
> Wiki? I think it is better if abuse is fixed by the first
> person who spots it, rather than a special moderator.

I think the reason not to leage it solely to the 'editors' is
that task is too big, it would not get done in a timely
fashion, and one gives up the benefit of a 'front line'
"subscribed" reviewer is the counter-argument;  I 'watch'
certain pages of the Wikipedia, and amend 'hijackings' from
time to time in covered pages.

my $0.02, and I have no strong feelings here ...

-- Russ herrold