[CentOS-docs] Opening of the Wiki - Part I

Mon May 19 03:52:55 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
>> I'd like to have your opinion on both things - comments and the opening
>> of the wiki - an if you want to be in that Editor team, you can also
>> raise your hand now ...
>
> I would certainly agree to moderate pages I have created and/or currently
> maintain, but I wouldn't want to commit myself to being a site wide
> moderator of content (or rather don't *expect* me to moderate other pages -
> if I happen across bad stuff, of course I'd remove it, but I'm not going to
> go looking). I consider this an acceptable consequence of opening up the
> Wiki. If each page has one (or maybe more) people assigned to moderate it,
> that could work.

The principle of Wiki is participation of anyone who wishes to
contribute.  That of course raises a question of how we can maintain
the contents correct or appropriate.  I agree that having an editorial
group consisting of knowledgeable people is a good idea.  Now, as
exemplified in Ned's comment, there are Wiki articles that have been
most exclusively maintained by the original author.  And there are
pages whose original author is no longer active but instead is being
maintained by another person.  Naturally, those who are currently
looking after the articles might want to take responsibility.
Therefore I would also like the idea of assigning a person/people to
each page if (or whenever) we have such volunteers.

I made a similar proposal a while ago in this list and the subject was
briefly touched upon:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2007-October/000734.html

As you can see in that thread, placing a moderator's name on each page
was opposed by a few core members of the CentOS team.  Then the
discussion sort of died down.  I'd like to know, if the name(s) are
hidden from the readers, assigning maintainers would be agreeable to
them.  Any more thoughts or ideas?

Akemi