[CentOS-docs] Some ideas about FrontPage reorganization

Thu May 22 16:51:24 UTC 2008
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Niels de Vos wrote:

> Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>> Take a look at:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/WikiDesign/FrontPageStructure

I see a boring balanced two equal column block design;  from a
matter of page layout, the old inverted L has disappeared from
the net (think of the OLD CNN site, which formerly did this at
800 pixels wide, and then added an advert column on the
right)

Most current professional designs seem (froma quick survey) to
have moved a 3 body panel design and top nav banners, with a 2
unit left, and 1 unit right balance layout, balanced as to
length.

(It is counterintuitive as from print design layout point of
view to have the 'heavier' column block on the left; in
print layout, one usually puts the heaver to the right for
Western reading audiences). But, the way a browser's scroll
bars usually default to favor the top and left, makes it
sensible to put the weight on the left for web content.
Setting it of with a bit of right and left whitespace for
readibility is usually a good idea as well

TOP-NAV-section
sub-head band 	       	        (usually local context)
(whitespace or a rule)
left block | right
  ........  | ....
  ........  | ....
(whitespace or a rule)
bottom anchor

I experiment with layout from time to time:  compare:
     http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/  (a left side anchor and
text flowing away from the center)
     with:
     http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/?other-voices
(visible table layrou rules, but 'padding' within each box
cell for readibility -- but resize the width of your browser
and watch the authors entry for: Continuous Trade  get ugly
;) )

-- Russ herrold