[CentOS-docs] Opening of the wiki Part III(?) ...

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 12:09:18 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> Ummm. I thought this was it? Or please rephrase what you mean by
>>> "documentation SIG" ...
>> Well, it is listed under "Future SIGs":
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup
>
> Question: Do we need more than we have now (meaning: Do we need trac and
> subversion or is this mailing list and the wiki enough for now)? We
> cannot change the documentation we get from upstream and I don't
> remember if we have any other documentation than is on the wiki at the
> moment ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

I don't personally see a need for anything else atm Ralph. Formalizing a
SIG could be as easy as nominating a dev team rep (you??), SIG lead and
membership, and putting it on the Wiki.

I don't really understand why we mirror the RH documentation (manuals)
other than to be polite and conserve upstream's bandwidth? Obviously the
documentation retains RH's branding so presumably can be freely
redistributed but not changed so I'm wondering where's the added value?
Is it purely a courtesy or are there other reasons not to point directly
to upstream's manuals.

One more thing - I'm wondering about the continued use of the "prominent
North American Enterprise Linux vendor" phrase that appears on the
website. Presumably this dates back to a time when Red Hat was less
receptive to CentOS but that has changed now? Is this something that
could/should be dropped now relations are friendlier?

Apologies for taking the thread slightly OT :-)