[CentOS-docs] What's an Enterprise class OS

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 10 18:39:32 UTC 2008

Ned Slider wrote:
> The more I think about this, and in relation to the whole WebSite2
> vision, I'm wondering if a simple static page at www.centos.org is all
> that may be needed combined with wiki.centos.org for content/docs etc,
> forums.centos.org, MLs and IRC for support, and projects.centos.org/trac
> for the other stuff.

as has been repeatedly pointed out on this list and other places, that
is not going to happen unless there are certain benchmarks met. I dont
see any effort towards that at the moment, so no - that wont be
happening anytime soon.

i'd be happy to work with any group of people who want to setup and run
a documentation sub-sig that address's the issues of content navigation
and content management from both sides : (1) the project and (2) the
distro. Both of which are very different from each other.

> At least with a simple static front page that say
> what the project is all about and links to the important areas it's not
> something that needs updating and thus isn't a burden on those who can
> least afford the time plus then the Wiki editorial group could take on
> much of the rest hopefully freeing up the core devs to do what only they
> can do. The Wiki could host much of the content that's currently on
> www.centos.org.

Actually no. the wiki is incapable of hosting more than 15% or so of the
content in www.centos.org - but if you think that more can be moved
over, I'd like to hear how you worked that out :D

- KB