[CentOS-docs] Opening of the wiki Part III(?) ...

Mon Nov 3 22:57:39 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Marcus Moeller wrote:

>>> North American Enterprise Linux vendor" phrase that appears on the
>>> website. Presumably this dates back to a time when Red Hat was less
>>> receptive to CentOS but that has changed now? Is this something that
>>> could/should be dropped now relations are friendlier?
>
> You may want to take a look at the Trademark Guidelines, Ch.A. Use of
> the Brand ...
>
> "The only way to obtain permissions to use the RH's trademark is by
> entering into a written license agreement with RH Inc. ... Absolutely
> no exeptions."
>
> But maybe we could just ask for it.

It's not because Red Hat is a trademark that you can not reference Red Hat
by name. We have been in this discussion before. You don't need Red Hat's
approval to reference them.

There are things you have to avoid, like not pretend to be Red Hat, or
speak in the name of Red Hat, or imply Red Hat is endorsing something. I
guess the easiest to avoid it is mentioning that Red Hat is a trademark
owned by Red Hat inc.