[CentOS-docs] What's an Enterprise class OS

Sat Nov 15 18:25:04 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> Many of you on this mailing list may still remember the longish thread
>> regarding the writing of a HowTo rpmbuild article.  At that time, I
>> quoted several forum posts to demonstrate the fact that we repeatedly
>> *type* the same answer each time a new person asks the same question.
>> This was because there wasn't really a good single point of reference
>> we could use and the best way of responding was to write the whole
>> thing out (again and again).
>>
>> At lease for me, the most propelling reason for creating a new article
>> is to make things easier for people helping new users rather than to
>> expect new users to read it.
>>
>> And the article/subject Ned is proposing is indeed worth writing.
>> With so many people switching from Fedora and other distros, we have
>> been having so many occasions in which we should explain what an
>> enterprise class OS (thus CentOS) is about.
>>

> See, you put that so much better than I did!
>
> As Bill suggested, if the FAQ section were more comprehensive, that would
> work equally well.
>
> For me, it's as much an issue of structuring the information in a way that
> makes it easy to find/link to as it is about merely creating the relevant
> content.

While we are still discussing the subject (or are we?), *yet another*
new person posted a question in the forums [1]:

"I was wondering, is majority of the software in the repositories
outdated or is it something on my side (and how could I fix it)?  For
example, the newest version of PHP that I'm being offered is 5.1.6 and
gnome 2.16.0."

[1] http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17299&forum=38

A link to the "planned" what-is-an-enterprise-class-OS article/FAQ
would have been handy.

Akemi