[CentOS-docs] Notes on HowTos/Custom Kernel

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:06:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 14:43, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Filipe Brandenburger
> <filbranden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually, as you can probably see in my recent post to the CentOS
>> list, I had to create a custom kernel to support a specific hardware
>> that I had. I also needed XFS, that's why I did it over the CentOS
>> Plus kernel.
>
> As you later mentioned in your post, xfs is now provided as a kernel
> module, kmod-xfs.  So, you do not really have to go for the cplus
> kernel if this was the only reason (just a comment).

Gee, I hadn't realised that, especially because at work I had always
heard that we are using the CentOS Plus kernel because we need XFS.
Digging a little deeper (somewhere in
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus), I
found out that the kmods for XFS are available for the regular kernel
in the "extras" repository (which by the way was unknown to me until
right now).

That's great to know! Even though I'll probably stick with the Plus
kernel, especially now that it is going to support the piece of
hardware I need! :-)

Thanks a lot!
Filipe