[CentOS-docs] Samba

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 04:58:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:52:59PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
>>>

> When I was reading through some documentation a few weeks ago,
> specifically the "Samba by Example" book:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
>
> I was surprised that the "more basic" examples were commonly using
> security = share. I thought I had read somewhere in the past that
> security = share was either deprecated or at least not recommended hence
> my surprise at seeing it being used in the official documentation.
> Personally I've always used user level security but share level would
> certainly ease a few potential headaches for new users requiring a
> "quick and dirty" share.
>
> Just so we're all on the same page, does anyone know (or have any views)

I don't have enough knowledge to state an informed opinion--however,
you're not wrong, I also definitely remember coming across the fact that
security = share was either deprecated or at least not recommended.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Joyce: You belong in a good old fashioned college with keg
parties and boys. Not here with Hellmouths and vampires.
Buffy: Not really seeing the distinction.