[CentOS-docs] CentOS wiki/web changes

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Sep 17 14:14:24 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Whats the aim of creating duplicate content and thereby creating more
>> legacy ?
>
> The aim would be that more people could actually improve the content,
> instead of having it sit there, look ugly and not helping with donations
> at all.

If there is such a mass of humanity looking to improve the content, why
is that effort not directed at fixing the issues with the website ?

> If you want me to say we should replace the Website by the Wiki, I will :)

you can say that if you like, but its not going to happen.

> Sorry, but every link from the wiki going to the website is but-ugly,
> looks disconnected and unprofessional.

so why band-aid rather than fix the problem ?

> Right, and the website obviously is much better in providing content to
> users (not).

the website gets a magnitude of more traffic than the wiki, so I'd say
yes its a better mechanism at the moment.

> Sorry Karanbir, we could argue about the principles of having a website
> and a wiki, but as long as the website is in the state it is now I would
> *never* recommend anyone to go to the website.

but you dont want to make any efforts to fix that situation ?

> Right, we could discuss what news-item to put on the frontpage, but I
> think it is important to also put highlights on the wiki simply because
> nobody ever visits both.

I'd like to see what analytics were used in reaching that decision.

- KB