[CentOS-docs] Wish to contribute a Winki Article

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 08:59:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 00:02 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 18:08 -0700, Mr dave fernandes wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>    My name is Dave Fernandes  I'm interested in contributing an
> >> article as a function of feedback I've received on setting up samba on
> >> CentOS. Username is davecgs.  The article is really about how to deal
> >> with the iptables and selinux without disabling them but using them to
> >> properly setup samba.  I would of course welcome you guys screening it
> >> in case I made an error in something.  I've had the forum do that as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Dave
> > ---
> > Where's it at I would like to read it please. You can post it in a mail
> > message.
> >
> > JohnStanley
>
> You can read it in his forum post:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=19465&forum=41&post_id=73237
>
> Akemi
---
Thanks for the link Akemi. I give it a A-. One problem with it:

chmod -r 755 /mnt/data - This depends on usage.
chown -R user:group /mnt/data - This also.
*or* chmod -R ug+rwxs,o-w,o+rx /mnt/data - This also to.
It is totally dependent upon how samba is going to be used in the
network environment thus I can not say an exact permission option to
choose. If the folders contain W$ Profiles they would be read only.

Home Directories: Yes they can be Shared on a Per User Basis. What I
mean is only one user connects to a /home/user-name and no other user
connects to that same home. That home folder can contain a W$ roaming
profile plus be a holder for the user created files.

The article could be a starting point for more samba articles in a
series. One small basic configuration file would be good also.
Explanation at the begining is pretty good. Would also be good to put
all the samba articles on the wiki in one direct place.

JohnStanley