[CentOS-docs] Authorship and Attribution

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 01:40:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:

> Agree that other authors should be able to contribute, particularly if
> the page is unmaintained.  That raises another point of Wiki etiquette
> that might be addressed in the Guidelines - what is the proper procedure
> for editing somebody else's page?  It should not be restrictive, as
> anybody with edit rights hopefully has enough sense and responsibility
> not to do anything too terrible.

If I may quote what Johnny Hughes wrote:

<quote>
I don't think that putting something in the wiki makes it a free for all
and just anyone should be able to update it.  Especially for How-Tos and
Article type content.  Now, we do have a very restrictive edit policy at
this point and we have had no problems that I know of to date ... but I
think acknowledgment is a good thing.

We are not going to get many "Real Authors" to post here if we have a
policy where by everything is owned by the group and they get nothing in
 return.

Well as an example ... do we want someone who knows nothing about DRBD
changing the detailed article written by Arrfab ... I don't think we
want that at all.  I would check with him before I changed anything on
that article, and I think that should be standard policy.

Now for some things, like the CentOS in the Media page, I agree that
there is total sharing and that is good.  I don't feel the same way for
Articles that are technical in nature though.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
</quote>