[CentOS-docs] Authorship and Attribution

Fri Apr 17 18:29:12 UTC 2009

Mats Karlsson wrote:
> So could we have two alternative text to cover the topic, who can edit
> an article?
>
> "Currently maintained by: name"
> Can only be edited by maintainer.
>
> "Currently maintained by: CentOS-docs mailing list"
> Can be edited by anyone on the mailinglist.

s/Can/Should/ at least as far as possibility, and practically speaking
many pages cannot be edited by "anyone on the mailinglist" as they may
lack edit rights unless that privilege is to be extended to all list
members.  I agree with the basic sentiment, but there is also the
possibility that a page is authored and/or maintained by somebody who
welcomes help and edits from other contributors.

I'd suggest that the guidelines could state that authors/maintainers
should explicitly reserve the edit-rights to pages if they do not want
others messing with them - similar to what is suggested above.
Admittedly well-meaning people could mess things up; but it is, after
all, a Wiki and it is possible to back out unwanted changes.

Seems obvious to me after all this (and previous) discussion that some
more guidance on the "Contribute" page would help to clarify what is and
is not considered acceptable.  Such a statement could be arrived at
either by consensus or by edict of a benevolent dictator. :-)

Phil