[CentOS-docs] Updated How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5

Wed Apr 29 14:39:29 UTC 2009

Ned Slider wrote:...

> /remembering my disclaimer/ I'm not a raid/grub expert...

You are too modest.  :-) I should put in that disclaimer too!

> Presumably Section two is required because grub is installed to the mbr
> of /dev/sda so /dev/sdb isn't bootable in the event /dev/sda should fail?

Yes.

> Would using grub be simpler rather than directly editing
> /boot/grub/device.map ? Something like...
>
> Following on from Section 1, reboot...
>
> Stop at the grub menu and enter the "c" option, which gives you the grub
> prompt. Then:
>
> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
> grub> root (hd1,0)
> grub> setup (hd1)
> grub> exit
>
> and test both disks are bootable. Achieves the same thing I guess.

I believe that's true, in fact I think that approach is used in some of
the links referenced from the RAID FAQ entry.  Could put it in as an
alternate method.

Thanks,
Phil