[CentOS-docs] Updated How to Setup a Software RAID on CentOS 5

Wed Apr 29 22:16:49 UTC 2009

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Ned Slider wrote:
>
>>>   There's always going to be an argument about whether to put /boot and swap
>>> on RAID.  It's all about performance most of the time being slightly better
>>> versus stability in the event of device failure.
>> I can't think of a good argument for not having /boot on the raid1.
>
> Then you do not support it, and see the recurring support load
> in #centos -- we get this load all the time.  It is from
> clueless newbies, barely able to communicate, with unknown
> controllers.  Putting /boot on raid adds complexity, it
> breaks, and it is needless in most cases.
>
> I'd rather have a discussion of setting up TWO /boot ext2
> (ext3 unneeded), on differing spindles, and a discussion of
> rsyncing the second when the first is updated; and a grub.conf
> description to match --

Russ,

That's pretty much what the article started with if you follow the long
history of the first thread on the contribution, but the consensus of
the people who commented was overwhelmingly in favor of /boot on RAID1,
so that's where it is now.  Would be glad to add a footnote with your
POV, or feel free to do so yourself.

Regards,
Phil