[CentOS-docs] [CentOS] New Centos 5.3 gnome backgroup

Tue Apr 7 15:43:20 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 19:07 +0200, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Good Evening.
>
> I spend some time to create a more 'classic' CentOS theme.
>
> # Wallpaper
>
> You can find the 4:3 wallpaper here:
>
> http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/classic/wallpaper.png
>
> Widescreen will follow
>
> # GRUB
>
> Download the matching GRUB Splash here:
>
> http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/classic/splash.xpm.gz
>
> To activate this, you can first backup the original one with:
>
> cp /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz.orig
>
> and the copy the new one over:
>
> cp /path/to/the/downloaded/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> # GDM
>
> To make use of the Classic GDM Theme, first download:
>
> http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/classic/classic_gdm.tar.bz2
>
> and extract it to the GDM themes folder with:
>
> tar xvjf  Classic.tar.bz2 -C /usr/share/gdm/themes/
>
> To activate this theme, open Alt+F2 and enter gdmsetup (if it's not
> there, first yum install it)
>
> # RHGB
>
> The large CentOS RHGB logo really looks good with the Classic theme:
>
> http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/classic/large-computer.png
>
> You can first backup the original logo with:
>
> cp /usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png /usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png.orig
>
> and then copy the new one over
>
> cp /path/to/the/downloaded/large-computer.png /usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png

> I am going to push it into a SVN branch as soon as I find some time ;)
>
> Best Regards
> Marcus
---
Marcus how about a Wiki Article out of this? There are lots of people
wanting to know how to do this.

There are many people that do not know how to edit "splash.xpm.gz". It
even took me a while to figure that out.

This is what I see:
back_grounds.src with all the images in it from CentOS 2 - 5. For gdm,
redhat-logos and redhat-artwork all compiled in to "back_grounds.src".
Maybe also getting this into the extras repo.

JohnStanley