[CentOS-docs] new page? - Virtualization/Install MS WindowsXP as a CentOS5/Xen guest

JohnS

jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:34:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 11:53 -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 16:49 -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> >> I don't see a How To, on this wiki, specifically designed to address the
> >> task of creating a Microsoft Windows XP virtual machine as a Xen guest
> >> under
> >> CentOS 5.  Many of the concepts are covered in
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingHVMDomU, but it appears to
> >> leave
> >> some things to the reader.
> >>
> >>   I (EdHeron) would be willing to make the attempt at a page to focus on
> >> this task.  It could be HowTos/Xen/DomU-WinXP-Install.
> > ----

<snip>
How funy this may sound I was told at a VM Ware conference to
c:\slipstream the SP3.

>   We (the company I work for) have about 60+ older workstations (1.6Ghz/512M
> to 1G RAM) that just barely run what we use.  Looking at brand name
> workstation replacements (eg. Dell Optiplex), we'd spend about $800 per
> workstation to replace.
<snip>
Not trying to be sarcastic but Wall Mart is 400.00 - 600.00. I have to
say I have gotten several from there for smaller businesses.

<snip>
You need to have a look at VMWare ESX and check the memory overcommit
features of it. I be willing to bet you could run maybe 20 VMs.

JohnStanley