[CentOS-docs] new page? - Virtualization/Install MS Windows XP as a CentOS5/Xen guest

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Apr 19 17:09:27 UTC 2009

On 04/18/2009 12:22 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Ed Heron wrote:
>

>>  I don't see a How To, on this wiki, specifically designed to address the
>> task of creating a Microsoft Windows XP virtual machine as a Xen guest under
>> CentOS 5.  Many of the concepts are covered in
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingHVMDomU, but it appears to leave
>> some things to the reader.
>>

> People -- this is NOT rocket science, and not undocumented.
>
> WHY are we building maintenance load? What is wrong with the
> virtualization documentation we already ship?  I know I file
> bugs upstream on xen and libvirt, but no one participating on
> this thread here has so far as I can see;  if there is a
> problem of lack of clarity, the answer is NOT to write yet
> more non-authoritative doco first
>
> This works out of the box already.  I am against such a new
> page, as it represents maintenance load to no good end that I
> have heard.
>
> The thread wandered off topic almost at once.  I think this
> shows that it is not needed, as expereince sharing 'started'
> Please move non -docs stuff to the centos-virt ML
>
> I use this minimal script ... prep with a:
>
> dd an install WinXP ISO to a location
>
> [root at centos-5 bin]# ls /var/lib/xen/ISOs
> cd.iso                            openfiler-2.2-x86-disc1.iso  Windows-keys
> cinch-3.0.0-rc8.i386.iso          win-2000pro.iso              win-XPpro.iso
> debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso  win-98.iso
> [root at centos-5 bin]#
>
> mkdir /var/lib/xen/ISOs
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=WinXP.iso
>
> and run this [almost all of which is man page repetition].  It
> is really a shell one liner, once the arguments are right
>
> [root at centos-5 bin]# cat install-windows.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #       from the man page
> #
> # NAME="win-2000"
> ISODIR="/var/lib/xen/ISOs"
> #
> #       inventory available images
> WIN_IMAGES=""
> for i in `cd $ISODIR ; ls -1 win* | sed -e "s/.iso$//g"` ; do
>          export WIN_IMAGES=`echo "$WIN_IMAGES $i"`
> done
> [ "x$1" = "x" ] && {
>          echo "Usage: $0 (arg)" 1>&2
>          echo "       where arg is one of: $WIN_IMAGES" 1>&2
>          exit 1
>          }
> export NAME=`echo "$1"`
> [ "x$NAME" = "x" ] && {
>          echo "Error: NAME is empty " 1>&2
>          exit 1
>          }
> #
> #       can we see the install ISO
> ISO=`echo "$ISODIR/$NAME.iso" `
> [ ! -e $ISODIR/$NAME.iso ] && {
>          echo "Error:  cannot see: $ISODIR/$NAME.iso " 1>&2
>          exit 1
>          }
> #
> IMAGEDIR="/var/lib/xen"
> IMG=`echo "$IMAGEDIR/$NAME.img"`
> [...]
and for it's worth, XP SP3 + ALL the updates that windows updates wanted
to installed worked just fine for me using stock C5.2, only major
differences compared to Russ's config being acpi=apic=1 ( minus the fact
that I was not able to find the magic which would have made the parallel
port directly accessible ).

I have not used any other doc but the manual (
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Guest_operating_system_installation_processes-Installing_a_Windows_XP_Guest_as_a_fully_virtualized_guest.html
)