[CentOS-docs] Authorship and Attribution

Phil Schaffner

P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Apr 20 10:17:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 11:37 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Mats Karlsson wrote:
> > So could we have two alternative text to cover the topic, who can edit
> > an article?
> >
> > "Currently maintained by: name"
> > Can only be edited by maintainer.
>
> Not really possible, as everyone in EditGroup is allowed to edit every
> articel (and the plan is to open up the wiki so that everybody who has
> opted to put his ramblings^Wwritings under the CC license will be in
> that group).
>
> So technically it is not really possible, but yes, that could be put
> into a policy on editing wiki articles.

Ralph,

Welcome back.  Don't know if you had tome to digest this very long
thread, but as the OP it seems to me you have captured the essence of
it.  A couple of points:

1.  Some people objected to a "policy" - perhaps it could be stated
guidance, or a suggestion, along the following lines: "Authors are
encouraged to use their WikiName in articles if they wish to have credit
for authorship.  It is also permissible for authors to request that
other Wiki contributors contact them before making modifications to the
page.  Unmaintained pages (author[s] unavailable/unresponsive or
explicitly so state), or pages that have no such stated limitations,
will be considered fair game to be adopted or modified by other willing
contributors."

2.  Dag suggested that macros might help implement any agreed-upon
guidance.

Phil