[CentOS-docs] Wiki Access Request for Java How To's

Sean Gilligan

sean at msgilligan.com
Fri Apr 24 23:23:49 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/24/2009 08:25 PM, Sean Gilligan wrote:
>
>> That's really cool! I'd love to help with testing and documentation. I'm
>> also interested in sharing Cobbler configurations publicly, but I'm not
>> sure what that entails.
>>

> There is a small app I wrote many years back to handle kickstarts, I am
> sure that could be expanded into something that can be used to share
> cobbler / puppet / kickstart configs. Something that should move up in
> the priority list for sure.

I'm pretty sure the cobbler web interface allows you to share cobbler
and kickstart configs - would you integrate with that?  (I haven't
looked at it for a while and it may be designed for use inside a
firewall.  I'm not familiar with puppet.)

>> I noticed this wiki page
>> (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror) was recently added. I
>> believe using Cobbler is a valid alternative approach for this, right?
>>

> not really - but there is a definite overlap in interest there. Cobbler
> uses reposync under the hood - which is something that should absolutely
> be on that page, since thats what it does.
>
> Cobbler on the other hand is a much wider and a much more focused tool
> on provisioning, not so much about management and maintenance.

I set up a local mirror of a Fedora 6 yum repo about 2 years ago and it
was not simple (for me).  About a year ago I did it for Fedora 8 with
cobbler and it was very simple.  My recollection was that Cobbler was a
superset of setting up a local repo and, given the ease of use, a better
solution.

I hope to be setting up cobbler on CentOS 5.3 shortly, so that should
refresh my memory.

-- Sean