[CentOS-docs] HowTo/RAID/convert non-RAID CentOS 5 system tosoftware RAID1 using rescue mode

Ed Heron

Ed at Heron-ent.com
Tue Apr 28 17:59:52 UTC 2009

From: "Marcus Moeller", Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:18 AM

>Dear Ed.

>> Does documentation exist describing how to convert a simple, single disk
>> non-RAID CentOS 5 system to software RAID1 using the CentOS install
>> CD/DVD
>> as a rescue disk?
>>
>> (Assuming not) Is there a need for such?
>>
>> (Assuming need) I volunteer to produce it.
>
>Maybe you could get in contact with Phil Schaffner who is currently
>writing a SoftwareRaidonCentOS HowTo:
>
>http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

  This page appears to be How To install CentOS 5 on software RAID 1 using
mostly graphical tools.

>We should first clear this up a bit.
>
>Then we could create a new page for non-RAID to RAID migration.

>Best Regards
>Marcus

  I'm proposing a page to describe how to convert a running CentOS 5 system
(though not while it is running) that was previously installed without RAID
to a RAID 1 system using the CentOS install disk in rescue mode.  Since
rescue mode is text based, there would be lots of differences.  There is a
little overlap, mostly concepts.  I plan on including LVM, though I find LVM
very annoying.

  I don't see any conflict or duplication between his page and my proposed
page.  Actually, I see the pages as complimentary.

  If Phil is going to broaden the scope of his page, then, of course, I
would withdraw my request.  However, I would recommend against having too
much on a single page.