[CentOS-docs] Authorship and Attribution

Fri Apr 17 00:16:59 UTC 2009
Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org>

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 01:31 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> I don't think we can expect the original author to be around (or even
> interested) at the time someone has some feedback. I would urge for a
> comment system to allow annotations to our wiki (much like PHP's annotated
> manual).

Might be good for the next version if/when that gets implemented.

Agree that other authors should be able to contribute, particularly if
the page is unmaintained.  That raises another point of Wiki etiquette
that might be addressed in the Guidelines - what is the proper procedure
for editing somebody else's page?  It should not be restrictive, as
anybody with edit rights hopefully has enough sense and responsibility
not to do anything too terrible.

> But I prefer to have some attribution too because I think it can help to
> motivate some people to help with the documentation if they get some
> recognition. But we should avoid having it there as contact info. A name
> would be sufficient.

Attribution is certainly allowed and the Guidlines do say to use the
WikiName to refer to people.  Just thought it might be good to have a
statement that it is allowed (or encouraged), but not required.