[CentOS-docs] New page on installing to software RAID

Mon Apr 27 19:42:33 UTC 2009
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
>
> Comments and corrections please.

Hi Phil,

Was just looking at this earlier.

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to put /boot on raid1 too - wouldn't that
save the lengthy process of manually duplicating those partitions? Then
only grub would need manual installation onto the second drive's mbr.

My understanding is that GRUB/Lilo have no issue with an ext3 /boot
partition being located on software raid1.

By not placing /boot on raid1, doesn't it just make the whole process a
lot more complicated than it needs to be?

I realise that in this instance, this document addresses a specific
issue this user is having due to /boot not being on raid1. But if we're
going to have a doc that describes how best to set up software raid1 at
installation...

/disclaimer - I'm definitely not a raid expert!

Cheers,

Ned