[CentOS-docs] Proposal: Java HowTo Section

Thu Apr 30 16:37:14 UTC 2009
Sean Gilligan <sean at msgilligan.com>

Phil Schaffner wrote:

> I have
> built/rebuilt-from-SRPM a lot of Java packages over the years using the
> HowTo or variations on that theme, so I'm chiming in anyway.

And I'm assuming that you're hoping those days are behind you?  Also, am
I correct in assuming that almost nobody uses the Java VM from GCJ?

>> Russ Herrold added the "special note" on OpenJDK, hopefully he will
>> chime in.
>>
>> Sorry, again for the long-winded proposal.  To make a real quick summary
>> of what I'm suggesting:
>>
>> 1) Move the current HowTo to a new Java Section
>> 2) Create a new NowTo for OpenJDK on CentOS 5.3 and later
>>

> Makes sense to me, but the older 5.x stuff should be moved out of the
> main article to a footnote, or better yet to a "Legacy" [sub]page to
> avoid confusion - if it is to be kept at all.

Yes, that's why I'm advocating a Java section and (initially) two
HowTo's.  One for the older "legacy" approach, and one for the new
OpenJDK approach.

> +1 with the caveat that plugins are not provided by the upstream
> packages.  Sounds like a CentOSplus candidate, or we are forced to point
> people to 3rd party repos for browser plugins that IMHO really ought to
> be part of the core.
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3574

Thanks for the information.  The OpenJDK HowTo should have a section
that addresses browser plugin issues.

-- Sean