[CentOS-docs] Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, and BCM4322-based hardware install manual

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 13:29:33 UTC 2009

On 12/13/2009 01:02 PM, Milos Blazevic wrote:
> Hello (again),
>
> I saw I've been granted the rights to edit the page. Thanks Ralph! I'd
> like to thank all for supporting me on this matter.
> And yes Ralph, good point about sending from the address I registered
> with,... never really thought about it.
>
> In the next few days I'll be editing the wiki page so the manual will
> become available and all critical input is welcome - we all want a
> comprehenssive manual, don't we?
> Also, I personally think we can't presume to bind this particular WLAN
> card to a particular laptop model (in respect of the manual), and vice
> versa. For instance, Inspiron 1525 I'm using usually comes with several
> different flavors of WLAN cards - don't be surprised if you find it
> working with iwl1395 driver because yes, they sometimes do come with
> Intel wireless card.

Agreed. I would think the logical location would be in the Wireless page:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

where there is already a small section near the bottom that could be
replaced, or if your contribution is too large to fit conveniently on
that page then do it as a separate page and link it from there.

It might be a good idea to do it as a separate page in your own area
first as a draft (Ralph can probably help with that?), then once this
list has had a chance to review it, it can be moved to the correct
location? That way we don't have draft content sitting on a "finished"
page whilst being written, if that makes sense.

> As for the drivers RPM Fusion and that "no-vim-distro" repos :) provide,
> this is the matter which the developers will certainly much better
> explain, especially since ELrepo developers are engaged in this
> discussion. Also, I myself was under the impression that Phil
> (NedSlider) considered thoroughly the option of building and .rpm for
> this driver.

I have no idea what the policy of others is on redistributing such
content, but as others have said, when I looked at it for inclusion in
ELRepo I was concerned by the terms for redistribution in the license,
and sought advice from the Software Freedom Law Center. We concluded
that we (ELRepo.org) couldn't redistribute it under the current terms,
hence why I feel such a guide here would be hugely beneficial.