[CentOS-docs] Info related to the use of trademarks in documentation

Tue Feb 3 18:36:15 UTC 2009
Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>

On 03/02/2009, S.Tindall <tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com> wrote:

> There was an interesting note in a recent fedoraproject.org newsletter
> regarding Redhat's legal views on referring to others' trademarks. Since
> the comments are lengthy, they are not reproduced here and are available
> at the links below.
>
> FWN/Issue161: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue161#Legal
>
> Callaway note:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-January/msg00012.html
>
> Fedora Packaging Guidelines:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Trademarks_in_Summary_or_Description
>
> Although they are really talking about non-Redhat trademarks, the points
> are equally applicable to the Redhat trademarks and related issues as
> might (or might not) be used in CentOS documentation.
>
> Those comments make interesting food-for-thought with regard to the off
> and on discussions on how to or how not to (or how if-at-all to) refer
> to Redhat in CentOS documentation.

Steve,

The first thing to get right is the name of the upstream company. It is (and
here I am quoting from upstream themselves) "Red Hat".

Two three letter words, the first letter of each in upper case.

Alan.