[CentOS-docs] I want to contribute to the wiki

Tue Feb 17 20:26:23 UTC 2009
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> morenisco at cdsl.cl wrote:
>> Well Ralph, anyway, If I paste the 20 pages on the wiki, I will have the
>> problem with the licence. I want to be free to licence my documentation
>> with GFDL or another that could be enought free for me. And put pressure
>> for just one licence to use is not something that you could consider a
>> free act.

> If you put a *HEADER* on your page which states that *this* one document
> is licensed under the GDFL and *NOT* under a CC license, I am *not*
> happy with that, but I think it could work.
>
> Anyone having a problem with that?

well, actually, yes, I do

I want a pony, but CentOS is not going to provide me with one,
it seems.  Beer seems to still require that I pay for it at
the local corner saloon.  The first poster is conflating
fiscally free, and software Libre concepts.

So far as I can tell, there is an functionally infinitely
large webspace for published content, and Google can be
induced to index it with minimal attention to detail.

If it resides in ** CentOS provided ** namespace, I _do_
expect it to be licensed generally, and not full of local
exceptions (which impair reproduceability, as in a 'best of'
volume), and are subject to unfixable entropy as a 'consent'
for a change cannot be found when the original author has
evaporated.

Why buy potential a copyright squabble HERE if we don't need
to?  The header/footer addendum on the doco we re-publish
under such limitations from upstream are U_G_L_Y, but such
local carveouts seem to provoke such a response to 'be
careful'.  The CentOS trademark is ours, the copyright is of
the project, and admixing the copyrights of others is a recipe
for unclarity and trouble.

Also, we have the problem of orphaned pages already [and I
correct or kill them when seen] and there is NO good reason I
can see, from a CentOS point of view, to compound the matter
with local copyright carveouts.  I would rather do without yet
another redundant article, that carries such thorns.

-- Russ herrold