[CentOS-docs] Wiki - Wireless Network with ndiswrapper

robert pierson roberthpierson at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 04:28:06 UTC 2009

Not being particularly saavy I was not able to get ndiswrapper working with the generic instructions provided and went to a few other sites to cobble the information together to get the wireless magic to work...  Though I suppose it probably makes sense not to get too detailed and then clutter up the wiki with misc. mumbo jumbo.

Here was the draft I created -

For the Dell D830 with the Dell
Wireless 1390/1395 cards that are recognized (using lspci -vnn) as
Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controllers.

The B43 driver and fwcutter application
will not work.  You may find ndiswrapper more suitable.

yum install wine
yum install ndiswrapper

(1) mkdir /ndiswrapper_drivers
(2)
cd /ndiswrapper_drivers
(3) wget
http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R174291.exe

(4) wine R174291.exe
(5) Specify the location where it is
going to be installed preferrably /ndiswrapper_drivers
(6) cd
DRIVER
(7) Assuming that you have already ndiswrapper
installed:
ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
(8) ndiswrapper -l (to
check if its installed)
you should get an output similar to
this
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4315) present
(9)
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
(10) now i suggest you restart you
computer
(12) And then you can enable NetworkManager to use it.