[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jan 3 14:45:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

Something that is not helping us with Google is the prefix "www.centos.org - "
to every page of the website (including the forums).

It is annoying in the sense that it pushes the important keywords to the
end of the title and sometimes out of view of regular users (yes, Google
search resuls are trimmed).

As an example, seaching for "wireless site:www.centos.org" results in
titles that are missing all the important items:

www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Wireless ...
14.7. Establishing a Wireless Connection
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Intel ...
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Hardware Support - Hawking ...
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Intel ...
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - CentOS 5 ...
Hardware and Network Protection
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - try to ...
Creating a Wireless Connection
www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Hardware Support - Intel ...

This is awful, how would anyone find which of those forum articles matches
what they're looking for ?

My advise:

  - Get rid of the "www.centos.org -" prefix for all pages

  - Get rid of the "Forums -" prefix for the forums

  - Get rid of the "Networking Support" prefix for the forums

  - Move the "CentOS 5 -" to the end of the title (or get rid of it too)

Not sure if it is possible from any configuration, else we should hack the
responsible code to make it disappear. Can we put this on a TODO list ?

Thanks,