[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:34:36 UTC 2009

On 05/01/2009, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Ned Slider wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Personally, I'd prefer to see the title of the thread/post followed by
> > the source returned for a search. So when googling "best Linux" the
> > searcher may get the following results:
> >
> > Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS forums
> > Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Wiki
> > Is it true that CentOS is the best Linux ever? - CentOS Mailing List
> >
> > etc
> >
> > Now, if we could just do something about those URGENT - PLEASE HELP!!!
> > threads for which google returns 474,000 hits (not all of which are on
> > centos!)
>
> While I am mostly for removing as much as possible from the page title
> except the subject. I think there is a lot of value to still keep the
> CentOS-4, CentOS-5 identifier.

As one who consistently and conscientiously reads *every* forum post, in
reverse chronological order, every day of the year it is important -- to me
-- that I have a visible indication of the CentOS version before I even open
the thread (to read the post(s)).

My reason for stating this point? So that a decision is not made to change
the working (& structure) of the fora just to increase the CentOS page
rankings, returned by a search engine, without giving serious consideration
to the users of the fora.

Alan.