[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Tue Jan 6 16:58:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't know why everyone seems to think we are going to change *ANYTHING*
>> to the way the forums work. The only thing I asked to consider is changing
>> the page title. Something a forum user would not even notice because that
>> is *NOT* what they see anywhere, unless in your tab. And now all your tabs
>> look like: "www.centos.org -" (if you can see that many characters)
>
> I assure you that I understood the point you were trying to make from
> the very beginning.
>
> What I did not know is that preventing unwanted portions of the title
> from appearing on google is technically possible.  So, I thought the
> only way to achieve this was to remove them from the original Forum
> thread title.

Ok, then I misunderstood you misunderstanding me ;-)

The question indeed is, are we willing to modify the codebase to do this.
There are a few options:

  - Only keeping the subject in the pagetitle (easy)
  - Switching the order of forum-name / subject
  - Using subject and CentOS release (hard)

In any case my feeling is that the www.centos.org needs to go and the
subject should go to the front. Everything else is a bonus ;-)

I am willing to singlehandedly do this because I think this is one of the
most important things to do. (After opening up Red Hat bugzilla to Google)

Improving the wiki page title is also high up on my agenda (in this case
SEO is somewhat more important) but te main goal is to help get better
search results and in return more happy CentOS people, more contributions
and profit !

(At least I will be more happy ;-))