[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

JohnS

jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:06:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 15:45 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something that is not helping us with Google is the prefix "www.centos.org - "
> to every page of the website (including the forums).
>
> It is annoying in the sense that it pushes the important keywords to the
> end of the title and sometimes out of view of regular users (yes, Google
> search resuls are trimmed).
>
> As an example, seaching for "wireless site:www.centos.org" results in
> titles that are missing all the important items:
>
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Wireless ...
> 14.7. Establishing a Wireless Connection
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Intel ...
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Hardware Support - Hawking ...
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - Intel ...
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - CentOS 5 ...
> Hardware and Network Protection
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Networking Support - try to ...
> Creating a Wireless Connection
> www.centos.org - Forums - CentOS 5 - Hardware Support - Intel ...
>
> This is awful, how would anyone find which of those forum articles matches
> what they're looking for ?
>
> My advise:
>
>   - Get rid of the "www.centos.org -" prefix for all pages
>
>   - Get rid of the "Forums -" prefix for the forums
>
>   - Get rid of the "Networking Support" prefix for the forums
>
>   - Move the "CentOS 5 -" to the end of the title (or get rid of it too)
>
> Not sure if it is possible from any configuration, else we should hack the
> responsible code to make it disappear. Can we put this on a TODO list ?

Hey Dag, does the Wiki even have a Site Map? If not that can greatly
help with the google searches (has to be submitted to Google). Also each
page upon creation needs a way to Inherit The Current Title and the Meta
Content section of the page code so it does not inherit from the Base
Code of MoinMoin.

JohnStanley