[CentOS-docs] centos-doc] Contributing on CentOS Wiki

Dag Wieers

dag at centos.org
Sun Jan 4 16:34:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> Counsel for the PNAELV expressly asked that CentOS NOT 'deep
>>> link' into their site.
>>
>> Do we have the complete text available ?
>
> yes -- I see no reason to re-debate their position here, as it
> simply picks open old wounds to no good end, and have provided
> a link to you privately.

If I read their position, they requested us to remove unauthorized use of
RED HAT marks as well as improper use of Red Hat's IP, including within
our web site metatags.

They did object the use of their trademark in combination of linking to
Red Hat's site, but they do not request from us to remove any links. Just
the use of the trademark.

So what we're already doing from bugs.centos.org and the security
advisories does not seem to be a problem. Linking does not seem to be an
issues to them according to what you send me.

And wrt. the improper and unauthorized use of the trademark, there are
ways to protect you from that (using the TM sign everywhere with a
disclaimer).

As long as we take proper care to make it absolutely clear we are not Red
Hat there should not be a problem. That together with a formal request for
revalidation of the website/wiki etc... should help us as well.

By the way, X/OS answered their counsel that as soon as Oracle is
complying, he would comply to the same rules as well. And never heard back
:)