[CentOS-docs] Improving the website and forums

Tue Jan 6 00:04:58 UTC 2009
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> And the fact that none of the wiki-pages are in the top is another
>> problem. Those pages are definitely more important than most of the search
>> results. The fact that the wiki title is not used is mostly to blame.
>>
>> So I would urge to have those thing fixed asap.
>
> have you had a look at Moin code ? would it be easy to just replace the
> /'s with ' ' ( space's ) in the title of the page ? that would be an
> easy win.

Right, but the title often says more than the wiki location. And in the
case of the Laptop page, the location says Laptops, while nobody would be
looking for the plural, I guess :-/

> Also, look for 'centos wireless' on Yahoo and MSN - I get wiki and forum
> posts in the top 10, Actually - all the results returned are from within
> .centos.org on both Y! and MSN.

I guess Google is too smart ?

On Google you also get a lot of centos.org results, but the wiki (the most
important one if we want people to first read it before asking questions)
is missing from the top 100 !

Same for the Laptops page.

Maybe it is personalising the results in bad way for me ? :)