[CentOS-docs] Merging Documentation and Help pages

Wed Jan 7 15:29:38 UTC 2009
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Going over the wiki some more I noticed that the GettingHelp and
>> Documentation page contain the same type of information and could be
>> merged (and reduced) as well.
>
> Why? At the moment with the Getting Help page gone, it looks a bit silly
> to have it redirect to the Docs page - There are other ways of getting
> help rather than Documentation.
>
> I would like to re-instate the GettingHelp page, its also what we point
> people at when we refer personal emails etc to the community for
> specific issue support.
>
> Also, I'd like to deprecate wiki urls on the Docs page to lower down the
> order - the first port of call on the Docs page should be the manuals
> and guides already published on the website and included in the distro.
>
> If noone has any objections to this, I'd like to make the change later today

The Documentation page contained a few links to the different sections
(like FAQ, HOWTOs, Manuals and TipsAndTricks) which was identical to what
was on the GettingHelp page.

For someone looking for information you have more than one way to find it,
the documentation is one of them. I see no benefit of having two
entry-points for people that are looking for information, where one is
ommiting mailinglist, search, forums, ...

Look at it from another perspective, if you need help and have the
misfortune to only click on the Learn (documentation) link you'd be
limited to only the Howtos, FAQ, TipsAndTrick and manuals, while the
forums, search and mailinglist may be more adequate for your problem.

That was the main motivation to have a single entry-point for people
looking for information. Whether it is something that is solved by
documentation or not.