[CentOS-docs] Automated RPMForge Repository Installation Script for Tips & Tricks section

David Dreggors

ddreggors at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 13 00:41:55 UTC 2009

Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Why would you use yum to install the package if you can do it with a
>> single rpm command ?

I can see validity in both sides, on the one hand it would be very nice
to use yum to install a *new* repository and start using it. On the
other hand how many 3rd party repo rpm's should they add to the main
CentOS repository? Just rpmforge? Maybe elrepo? or atrpms? Who decides?
Also, there is the fact that if they are included in the core repos then
they appear to be "supported by" or "endorsed by" CentOS when clearly
that is not the case...

"WARNING: These repositories are not provided nor supported by CentOS."

Seems to me there is a reason the 3rd party repo info is on a wiki page
and not in the core repos, because this ground has been covered and the
decision appears to have been made. Maybe I am wrong but I can only
assume this as it is covered on the wiki page.