[CentOS-docs] How to back up a running KVM guest

Julian Price centos.org at jul17pri.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 22:59:02 UTC 2009

Hi

Please create a page on the wiki for a HowTo with the subject:
"How to back up a running KVM guest"

This will explain how to use LVM to take a snaphot of a KVM guest's
virtual hard drive and rsync it to a remote backup server.

I have a prototype running but there are still many issues to be
resolved affecting performance, security, reliability, automation.  I
intend to include a to-do list so that others can contribute.  The to-do
list is quite long so it's unsuitable for a single forum or mailing list
post, where discussion about various points on a single thread could get
confusing.  Maybe individual issues could be posted in the forum for
discussion.

Are wiki pages created in a hidden state and made visible when they
reach the required quality?

Please also grant permission for me to alter the KVM HowTo:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM
...so I can add the salient points from this forum post...
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19034&forum=38

Thanks,
Julian Price