[CentOS-docs] Potential loss of a wiki contributor.

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri May 8 19:55:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009, David Dreggors wrote:

>>> Regarding his issues with #centos - no idea ...
>
> As to the #centos, just all to often seems to be a "pot luck" of weather
> you even get a response there. Sometimes (quite often) when you do it is
> in the form of a nasty remark followed by a not so helpful "rtfm" and no
> real answer ever given. Obviously you can't control the users in the
> channel but I'm just saying that it is not nice for new Linux users
> looking for help to get told stop asking dumb questions and rtfm. My
> point in those comments was merely to have someone re-think the advice
> to go to #centos for support when this very place often alienates new users.

I know you are not the only one with this remark and while we cannot
control individual users, we could look at how to change the attitude and
atmosphere on the channel.

I think we need to see with our #centos IRC moderators if and what we can
do about it. But it is obvious that not getting any response is hard to
fix :)

My personal opinion is that IRC is not the best strategy if you want a
good reaction from the community. And my experience (on both sides of the
fence) is that an IRC user typically wants immediate answers and often has
unrealistic expectations. Not seldom a user left the channel before I was
able to provide him with an answer...

So google, wiki, mailinglist and forums (in that order) provide a much
better support environmment and IRC is more for informal communication and
chit-chat. I don't think we have to expect more from it.

But it should never be a hostile environment.