[CentOS-docs] New Wiki Page

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat May 9 16:49:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 05:39:06PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sat, 9 May 2009, David Dreggors wrote:
> >

> > Madwifi, is a packaged driver as well but will not work for me as I need
> > the latest madwifi snapshot. The madwifi package that comes with and in
> > fact has to be removed does not work for my hadrware.

Yes, they decided to do it that way, I was never quite sure why.
Fortunately, FreeBSD's Sam Leffler made those snapshots mentioned in the
wiki article.

> Did you try ath5k or kmod-ath5k (comes from 2.6.18-144.el5) ?

At this point, I'm still finding MadWifi to be more reliable for CentOS.
As mentioned in our correspondence with Alan and company, I'm still
getting the core dump on closing wpa_supplicant with that driver.
On the other hand, that could just be my rather lowend laptop.  There
were a couple of other minor error messages I'd noted as well, which I
haven't yet sent to Alan, as I've had very little time.  (I am not sure
this is a discussion for the document list, but as it does concern
a wiki article on that card and a few laptops that use it, I'm just
bringing it up.)

I would suggest that you try the kmod though, and report back--whether
good or bad.  And Alan, I will try to get you these other (seemingly
minor, as they didn't affect the card working) errors by tomorrow.

> > I have a page on the CentOS forums for this, no answers there in days,
> > still 0 posts as of last night.
>
> The chances of anyone having the same laptop in the CentOS community
> coming across your post are rather slim.

One important thing when mentioning laptop hardware on any forum--(as a
Fedora Forum Mod, I'm constantly telling people this and editing their
thread titles) is that as laptop manufacturers are notorious for
changing hardware without notice, it's always best to use a thread title
like Wireless card <model> doesn't work, rather than something like
<laptop model> wireless doesn't work.  Especially on CentOS fora, where
there are many overworked sysadmins, busy people will tend to simply not
even look at a post like that (with the model).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: The band, yeah. They're great. They march.
Willow: Like an army. Except with music, instead of bullets, and
usually no one dies.