[CentOS-docs] Initial list delay

David Dreggors ddreggors at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 11 17:29:42 UTC 2009

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> David Dreggors wrote:
>> Why does it take so long (3/4 days) from account creation and
>> confirmation email to the point you actually receive list mail?
>
> It doesn't.

It does "for me" and that was I guess what should have been my initial
question. "Does anyone else see a delay?"

>> Especially if you sign up to get a request made, which means that the
>> request goes to the list days before you can recieve email from the
>> list. You then miss all replies!
>
> Don't sign up for the digest then.

I misunderstood, I thought you had to. Mail lists are foreign to me.

>> Is anybody aware of this delay?
>
> There is no delay.

Maybe not for the rest of the world :)
I just seem to find the hardest way to do things I guess.

>> Is that normal?
>
> If you subscribe to get your mails in a daily digest: Yes, it is.
>
>> If it is then is it posted anywhere that you should wait several days
>> before sending questions to the list?
>
> As there is no such delay if you do *not* subscribe for the digest of
> the mailing lists ...
OK, that makes some sense. I just thought you had to subscribe for the
digest to get the responses from the list.

I have never subscribed to mail lists before now so the concept is
foreign to me.