[CentOS-docs] XPS1530 Draft Comments Please

Lalit Dhiri my_linux at live.com
Tue May 12 08:48:40 UTC 2009

> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:09:19 -0400
> From: Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov
> To: centos-docs at centos.org
> Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] XPS1530 Draft Comments Please
>

> Looks pretty overall.
>
> Just a style comment - but I'd enclose things like lspci and lsusb
> output in {{{ ... }}} markup.
>
> Better to point people to known repos than downloads, and it is highly
> discouraged to recommend source installs unless absolutely necessary.
> iwl4965-firmware and nvidia-x11-drv are available from RPMforge. Have
> you tried them?
>
> Phil

I could not get the Ethernet to work when I first installed 5.2 on the XPS M1530 so I chose to use the same route and made use of WiFi. I will try Ethernet with out making changes with 5.3 to see if things get going if not this is probably still the easiest route imho.

The last I checked the RPMForge nvidia-x11-drv were a lot older then the latest release and had issues with the graphics card. Again here I will see what the current release is on RPM Forge and provide reference.

For now I've added the following in Links & Notes: ** If after an install internet connection is possible; it may be an
easier option to get WiFi firmware and GPU drivers from RPMForge.