[CentOS-docs] Contribute request

David Dreggors ddreggors at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 12 13:40:03 UTC 2009

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Okay. I'm waiting for comments here - php as a scripting language?
> Strange >:)

Yes and No... to many of us it may seem odd, we all know that shell
scripting is faster and way more powerful than php. We also know that
one could accomplish the same thing in half the lines and that this
script would be able to go on ANY CentOS install with no problems using
a shell script.

On the other hand, you use what you know. Bourne Shell/Bash/(t)csh/etc
may be too much for some. Perl is definitely a hard language to grasp as
well. Php is easy to pick up. Not to mention that there are many that do
not realize that php-cli can accomplish this. It maybe an unknown art
that some find interesting and useful. Not php as a whole but rather
using php on the command line.

Either way, seems like it fits well in a tips and tricks area, because
it is a trick that not many would expect... think about all our
reactions when he suggested it!