[CentOS-docs] Tips and tricks : create image file from CD/DVD?

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:55:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 14:24 -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> From: "JohnS", Friday, May 15, 2009 12:18 PM
>

> > On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 12:01 -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> >> Should the wiki have a Tips and Tricks page for creating a ISO file from
> >> CD or DVD?
> >>
> >>   I realize this information is everywhere.  Including
> >> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-ppc.html
> >>
> >>   I don't, however, find it on the wiki...
> >>
> >>   Is it within the scope of the wiki project to have it somewhere?
> > ---
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia
>
> The description on that page...
> ----------
> The following script (mkdvdiso.sh) has been tested for CentOS 4 and 5 i386
> to create DVD ISO images from CD images, or from an installation tree. If
> the installation tree does not contain a .discinfo file, one must be
> obtained from the top level of a CD.
> ----------
> seems to be describing creating a DVD image from a CD image or a source
> directory, not how to create a image from a CD or DVD.
>
> I'm just talking about the
> dd if=/dev/cd of=/usr/share/cd.iso
> command.  Useful for creating boot images for virtual machines and cd images
> for cd/dvd servers.
>
> with maybe a suggestion of where to put the image, like /var/lib/xen/images
> for xen or maybe /usr/share for other uses.
---
Ok my mistake. You would be better off to use mkisofs for CDs? Now I see
what your after.

Now a word of warning. dd if=/root/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 will not work
due to a Bug in the Kernel. It want allow access to the floppy drive.
The work around is to use a external floppy which I have not tried yet.

[root at xxxxxx ~]# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/flop
mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I had that problem when needing floppy boot images for vmware and
virtual box. Same results with dd.

JohnStanley