[CentOS-docs] Comments? HowTos/CentOS5ConvertToRAID

Phil Schaffner

Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov
Tue May 12 20:11:19 UTC 2009

Ed Heron wrote:
>   Has anybody had a chance to look at this?

Moving it up on my to-do list...

When cloning the root partition need to add "H" to the rsync flags to
preserve hard links.  Don't think /boot uses hard links, but wouldn't
hurt to use it there also.  An often-recommended alternative is to use tar:

tar -C /mnt/boot.old -cf - . | tar -C /mnt/boot.new -xf -
tar -C /mnt/root.old -cf - . | tar -C /mnt/root.new -xf -

Probably a matter of preference.

At step 6, since everything has already been cleanly unmounted, should
just be able to hit the power button.  Add something to the effect of
"Remove the rescue media before rebooting."

That's all the comments I have without actually going through testing
the procedure.  Will try that later if I get a round tuit. :-)

Nice job.  Will reference it from the HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5 page
when it goes live.

Phil