[CentOS-docs] Comments? HowTos/CentOS5ConvertToRAID

Wed May 13 15:42:33 UTC 2009
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Ed Heron wrote:
> From: "Phil Schaffner", Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:20 AM
>
> > It "just works".  I habitually use rsync for incremental updates across
> > directories or systems, but tar is often more robust for this type of
> > job, just because of things like needing to remember to use -H. Both
> > rsync and cpio will work if used properly, just like tar.  Like I said,
> > largely a matter of preference.
>
>   I read somewhere that tar doesn't save extended attributes.  Is this still
> the case or did I read old news?

       --xattrs
              this  option  causes  tar  to  store  each   file’s   extended
              attributes  in  the  archive.  This option also enables --acls
              and--selinux if they haven’t been set already, due to the fact
              that the data for those are stored in special xattrs.

>   Should we submit a bug report somewhere for rsync not correctly copying
> SELinux attributes?  Or is it some mistake of mine that it didn't appear to
> work?

What happens when you set --xattrs in rsync, too? Their manual page does
not mention SELinux, though.

Cheers,

Ralph