[CentOS-docs] Tips and tricks : create image file from CD/DVD?

Fri May 15 20:24:21 UTC 2009
Ed Heron <Ed at Heron-ent.com>

From: "JohnS", Friday, May 15, 2009 12:18 PM

> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 12:01 -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
>> Should the wiki have a Tips and Tricks page for creating a ISO file from
>> CD or DVD?
>>
>>   I realize this information is everywhere.  Including
>> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-ppc.html
>>
>>   I don't, however, find it on the wiki...
>>
>>   Is it within the scope of the wiki project to have it somewhere?
> ---
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia

The description on that page...
----------
The following script (mkdvdiso.sh) has been tested for CentOS 4 and 5 i386
to create DVD ISO images from CD images, or from an installation tree. If
the installation tree does not contain a .discinfo file, one must be
obtained from the top level of a CD.
seems to be describing creating a DVD image from a CD image or a source
directory, not how to create a image from a CD or DVD.

I'm just talking about the
dd if=/dev/cd of=/usr/share/cd.iso
command.  Useful for creating boot images for virtual machines and cd images
for cd/dvd servers.

with maybe a suggestion of where to put the image, like /var/lib/xen/images
for xen or maybe /usr/share for other uses.