[CentOS-docs] wiki contribution

Ralph Angenendt

ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:16:59 UTC 2009

Am 30.11.09 20:05, schrieb Joshua Daniel Franklin:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Rackspace are the typical leecher commercial vendors feeding off the
>> CentOS pool, with little or not desire to even consider contributing any
>> level of effort or time back into the project. To me, thats a big deal.
>>
>> I'm voting for not listing them on the wiki. Also, what is it that the
>> IUS repo does that isnt available on the other regular
>> non-commercially-backed repositories ?
>
> They definitely provide packages from a different philosophy. For
> example, they're providing mysql50 and mysql51 that can install
> alongside stock mysql instead of replacing it.

What are they doing in regard to python? Install alongside? Break the
python on the machine (I'm not really inclined to test that at the
moment)? What's with php (oh my god, another php-current source)?

If that is what makes this special (meaning installs alongside things
from CentOS), then a longer document about the repo would be needed, as
to what can happen - or won't - when you have 2 pythons on the machine, etc.

> In any case, can I be approved for the wiki and add my personal
> page? I won't edit the AdditionalResources/Repositories unless
> there's some sort of consensus.

Yeah, sure. Done.

Ralph