[CentOS-docs] Contributing Wiki article on tmpfs

Brian Mathis

brian.mathis+centosdocs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 18:38:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Jasper Siepkes <jasper at siepkes.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made a first attempt at writing the tmpfs CentOS Tips and tricks item
> and I'm looking for some feedback. Does it need more (or less) background
> info ? Or more (or less) substance perhaps ?
>
> Regards,
> Jasper

I'd like to see more info on things like:
- What is the relationship with swap?
- How/when does swap get used instead of RAM?
- How do I determine the size of RAM to use?
- What impact does using 100% of RAM have on the active memory in the system?
- What happens if all system RAM is full, and tmpfs is also full?

I think your doc is a good start, but as of now it's got the same info
as all the other tmpfs docs out there, and they don't go into much
detail about the real impact on a system when using tmpfs.

Tmpfs is billed as a more sophisticated ramdisk, so docs addressing it
should go into the details of what makes it better.  A simple ramdisk
just allocates a chunk of RAM, so why is tmpfs better?