[CentOS-docs] New User Wishes to Contribute

Mon Oct 5 15:54:20 UTC 2009
Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote on 10/05/2009 04:40 AM:
>> Um. Since when does it, when you want to make a fix? As said, there
>> are around 80 people who already are able to fix things all over the
>> place. Which does not require to send a mail anywhere, but just making
>> a fix.
>
> I seem to recall someone pointing out that few of those 80 are active.
> Why not bring in some fresh blood and new energy?  If 80 have the
> privilege why not 85 or 100?  If the view is that there are too many
> open accounts with global edit rights, then restrict those that have not
> contributed in X years, but lower the barriers to entry for new
> contributors.

I am adding new users to that on a permanent basis - normally you are
on there after you created your second article or have had some
interesting suggestions on here.

> Dag's point that more openness could be a good thing seems pretty
> clear to me.

Okay, than I did misunderstand that. Mind, that I'm not native speaker either.

Then *everybody* please be not vague:

How would openness work in your view

a) without compromising the wiki's spam-free-ness (?)
b) with making people adhere to a CC license beforehand
c) with making sure that the content quality doesn't get worse (I
think we have a rather high quality at the moment)
d) with making sure that there's no "off topic" content

I'd really be interested to hear that. I have a view how that can
work, but that is a view which still makes some people "better" than
other people - and will create more work for them.

I know we had that discussion about a year and a half ago, and I have
some ideas - but the result from last year was, that there would be
around 5 to 6 people who watch over the content. I think that that
isn't enough.

Convince me (and possibly others, but if I'm convinced I'll push that
further) =:)

Cheers,

Ralph