[CentOS-docs] Edit permission

Fri Oct 16 13:26:34 UTC 2009
Garry.Dale <garry.dale at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
>> <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is it with all those "personal pages"? Not wanting to turn you
>>> off (you are getting one, no problem), but why does everybody think
>>> he/she needs one on the wiki? Why not contribute first?
>>
>> Yes, I know the contribute page "says so", I'd like to know if there
>> is a personal "need" to get one.
>
> We could suggest to use the sandbox instead for learning how to work
> with the wiki. Another option could be to set up something like a
> 'construction area' where every new article should be created first
> and be moved to the correct section when finished.
>
> Besides that it may confuse ppl if they do not have access to their
> personal page. Perhaps granting access to personal pages could be
> automated in some kind of way.

Hi, Ralph and Marcus...  To your points, I would like to propose an
update to a Section 3 on the wiki's Contribute page [1]:

Remove this bullet:

"We also encourage you to request and to maintain a personal homepage
with your contact information. Some people also use their homepage to
keep a note of their edits, or as a place to experiment for testing
content layout, editing commands, etc."

Include a bullet such as this:

"Initially edit rights will be allocated to certain sections of the
Wiki, such as the WikiSandBox. The sandbox is where you can experiment
with content layout, editing commands, etc. Once your Wiki content has
been accepted for publication -- and you have demonstrated your
commitment to maintaining your content -- your Wiki access can be
extended. This might include the creation of a personal homepage where
you can maintain your contact information and notes of your edits."

Thanks.

gd

[1] Section 3, http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute